Row the Rockies
Thanks to all the rowers and volunteers for a great regatta!
2012 Regatta and Registration Information
The Rocky Mountain Rowing Club invites you to join us for the Sixth Annual Row the Rockies Regatta! The 1000-meter sprint races will be held Saturday, June 23, 2012, on wakeless Union Reservoir in Longmont, Colorado. There will be racing for junior, masters, and open rowers.
Also please join us for a racing clinic conducted by referees Don Craig, Hank Miller, and Kevin Little on Thursday, June 21, 6:00-8:45 p.m. at the Longmont Public Library. Don and Hank refereed rowing at the Atlanta Olympics, and the three will explain the inner workings of a sprint race from a referee’s standpoint: how flags are used to start a race, how referees communicate with rowers during a race, and how to keep racing safe, fair, and fun. It is essential information for coaches, coxswains, and bow seats, and helpful for all rowers who ever plan to race. There is no fee for the clinic, but please reserve your seat by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org by June 17.
Regatta Entries & Registration
Please register by June 17, 2012. Late entries will be allowed only if space remains in existing heats. The entry fee is $35 per competitor (including coxswains) received through June 17, and $40 per competitor after June 17. The fee includes a regatta t-shirt and participation in up to three events. All competitors must sign a waiver at the registration table upon arrival. Make checks payable to Rocky Mountain Rowing Club.
You can register for the regatta one of three ways:
Note: A separate entry form is required for each race you are entering.
- Online at http://rockymountainrowing.org/node/278 by 5:00 p.m. on June 17, 2012. Please note that registration is a two-part process: a) Competitor registration; b) Boat (and crew) entry. All members of a crew must be named, registered, and paid before the crew is entered in an event. Entry fees can be paid online using PayPal (see online registration) or mailed to the address below. Race-day entries will be accepted only if there is room in existing heats and must be paid at the registration table upon arrival.
- By mail to:
Row the Rockies c/o Linda Browning
19194 Silver Ranch Road
Conifer, CO 80433
Mailed entries must be postmarked no later than Friday, June 15, 2012. A $5 late registration fee will apply to entries postmarked after June 15, 2012.
- Day of the race. Entries will be accepted between 6:00 and 7:00 a.m. at the race venue if space is available in existing heats. All entries must be accompanied by the entry fees and waivers. Please note that a $5 late registration fee will apply. Additional entries will not be accepted if the entry causes a need for additional heats.
There is an $8/carload fee to enter the park. Carpooling is encouraged. The park entrance fee will be waived for boat trailers.
Medals will be awarded to the first and second place finishers in each heat. An awards ceremony will be held after the final race. Competitors who must leave early may pick up their medals from the results table near the launch area.
Parking and Trailer Loading/Unloading
A large parking lot is available just southwest of the boat prep area. Boat trailers and cars should park in the lot. Those who are cartopping boats (only) may park in the signed area between the boat prep and launch areas. There is no parking on grassy areas. See the venue map.
Trailer drivers should take care when exiting the park across the narrow bridge. No left turn onto the bridge is allowed; trailers must circle and approach the bridge from the west.
All boats that come in on trailers must be inspected for zebra mussels by a Union Reservoir employee. Boats will be inspected after they are on slings in the prep area. Please ensure all boats are clean and dry when entering and exiting the park.
- All rowers should attend the pre-race meeting with race officials at 6:15 a.m.
- Protective bow balls and heel ties are required on all rowing shells, per the USRowing Rules of Rowing. Crews must provide their own bow balls.
- Colorado boating law requires all rowers/coxswains to wear a personal flotation device (PFD) on the water or have one available in the shell for each person.
- All crews must promptly follow the instructions of the dockmaster and race officials or be disqualified.
- Whenever a race is approaching, a non-competing crew at or near the perimeter of the course shall stop rowing, come to a complete rest, and make sure that it does not interfere with the race, either by obstructing the path of competing crews or accompanying launches or by causing a wake.
- Be aware of fishing boats on the lake and a sailing regatta starting at 11:00 a.m.
- All participants must check in one hour prior to their first race and sign a waiver.
- All boats will wet launch. Launch to the east (toward the start) and return from the west (from the finish).
- There will be 6 lanes of racing with a stakeboat start. Bring your own bow numbers.
- Events must have at least two entries to be held (i.e., you must have someone to race against).
- Classifications and Heats:
- Novice – A rower who began racing after June 23, 2011.
- Juniors – Rowers who are in high school or have just graduated.
- Masters – Rowers who are at least 21 years old as of December 31, 2012. Masters races will be age handicapped according to the USRowing Rules of Rowing.
- Open – Open events are open to all rowers and will not be age handicapped.
- Races with more than 6 entries by the entry deadline will be split into heats by gender and age group categories as needed, with a minimum of two entries needed to make a category. Late entries will be accepted only for existing heats.
- Multiple heats for the same event will be run back to back.
- You should schedule your races so that boats will be at the starting line on time. Races will not be delayed for hot seating.
- Please bring a refillable water bottle. Water will be available to refill your bottle. This is part of our effort to reduce the number of water bottles discarded.
- Camping is available at Union Reservoir on a first come, first served basis (no reservations are taken).
In case of inclement weather on Saturday, June 23, events will take place on Sunday, June 24 (weather permitting).
Tentative Schedule of Events
6:00–7:00 a.m. Late registration and boat prep
6:15 a.m. All rowers meeting
6:30 a.m. First call for racing
7:00 a.m. First event begins. Races are scheduled 12 minutes apart, but may be
adjusted by the race officials as needed
9:30 a.m. Break
10:00 a.m. Racing resumes
12:00 p.m. Last race
Awards ceremony will follow the last race.
Race Schedule (Revised)
7:00 Open Mens 1x
7:12 Master Mixed 8+
7:24 Master Womens 1x
7:36 Junior Mens 1x
7:48 Master Mens 4x
8:00 Master Womens 2x
8:12 Junior Mens 4+
8:24 Junior Womens 2x
8:36 Master Womens 4x
8:48 Open Womens 1x
9:00 Master Mens 2x Heat 1
9:12 Master Mens 2x Heat 2
10:00 Master Womens 4+
10:12 Junior Mens 4x
10:24 Master Mens 1x
10:36 Open Womens 8+
10:48 Master Mens 4+
11:00 Junior Mens 2x
11:12 Junior Womens 4+
11:24 Open Mixed 2x
11:36 Master Mixed 4x
11:48 Junior Mixed 8+
12:00 p.m. Open Mens 8+
See photos of Row the Rockies at Union Reservoir in 2010, at http://rockymountainrowing.org/image/tid/81.
See the results of Row the Rockies 2011, at http://rockymountainrowing.org/files/2011_RTR_Results.pdf.